Saturday, April 22, 2017

Digital Writing Reflection

What did you learn about yourself as a writer?
I remembered how frustrating it is for me to write academically. I am somewhat of a perfectionist, and writing is not my strongest area. I occasionally have to write essays for my other courses, but not usually as often as we have in this class. This is not a bad thing at all, as it has given me a chance to practice often and improve my writing. This class has reminded me why I do not write very often, and why I should write more.

What did you learn about digital writing or being a member of a digital writing community?
I learned that creating a blog is actually really easy to do! Before this class, I had never made one. I really like that it is public and anyone online can read it. Keeping a blog is a great way to practice writing, and reading other people's blogs is a great way to get ideas and learn new things.

What lessons can you take to your classroom or share with future teachers about integrating blogging into instruction?
I think all teachers should know how easy a blog is to make. Having students keep a weekly blog is a great way for students to share and publish their writing, as well as to help them build writing habits. It is also an easy assignment to give with little prep work for the teacher. The teacher can assign them a prompt or an open post, and just give a minimum word or sentence count. And it saves paper!

Challenges/Successes?
Really, my biggest challenge was finding the time to write the blog posts in my currently hectic schedule. I enjoyed the open posts, since I could write about what I am interested in, while the other posts were more challenging since they often involved outside research (such as learning a new form of technology to write about) in addition to writing the blog post itself. Another challenging aspect was writing about reading, writing, and teaching, which are all not my best subjects.

I consider it a success that I have completed all of the blog posts for this course! I also really liked creating the word cloud for the technology blog post. That is one more thing I can take away from this class that I can use in many other areas of school/work.


Overall, I found writing the blog posts somewhat difficult for me, but looking back on all that I have written this semester is very rewarding. The blog posts were easily my favorite assignments of the course. I especially liked that they were different each week, ranging from open posts, to tech-related posts, to Wordless Wednesdays. I hope my other classes in the future utilize blog posts as course assignments as well.

3 comments:

  1. Half the battle with writing is just doing the writing! Good job sticking to it! I know that it you struggled, but you were tenacious and did well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard to find the time in our schedules to write for us or to write something that isn't academic. Even though these assignments were for a class and a grade, I really appreciated the creativity they allowed us to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that weekly blogs are great for helping to develop writing habits & allowing students to express themselves in a way that sort of deviates from typical writing assignments. Spicing it up and having different kinds of blog posts per week definitely makes the assignments more interesting : )

    ReplyDelete