Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Introduction to Redefine the Finish Line

My name is Kaitlin Cruit. I was born in Charlotte, NC and grew up in Winter Haven, FL. I am an Interdisciplinary Studies major, my "sub" majors being mathematics and biology, and my minor being education.

I currently work as an accounting assistant in Apopka, FL., but I have also worked as a substitute teacher for the Polk County School Board, a private K-12 math tutor, a cashier at Panera Bread, and a bagger at Publix Supermarkets.

I have two main hobbies/interests: the Korean language and health. I love listening to K-Pop and learning the Korean language in my free time. I am also trying to go vegan, and am trying to get into a routine of eating healthy and exercising daily. I successfully ignored the free donuts and pizza at work today, so I am not doing too bad today!

I originally wanted to be a math teacher, but decided teaching in grade schools was not for me. I am still not quite sure what I want to do, but I would like to continue exploring the field of accounting so that I can use the experience I am getting as an accounting assistant now to work towards better positions.

I am taking this class not only to satisfy my education minor, but also to improve upon my own writing skills. I believe, like our professor and the author of our assigned class textbook, that writing is essential to success in the workplace. Additionally, the more I learn about writing and reading in this class, the more I can help with ideas for lesson plans for my best friend and roommate who is currently a public school teacher.

I named this blog "Redefine the Finish Line" after a workout shirt that I own that says, "There is No Finish Line"--no shocker there, I am not creative enough to come up with that on my own. I think this is applicable to life in so many ways, not just for exercising, but also with eating healthy, working, writing, and learning in general. If we think of life as just working towards accomplishing a goal, then we think of life as a failure if we never reach it. On the flipside, if we do reach it, life seems pointless afterwards. We should always have goals, but we should always be redefining that goal as we move along. Do we need to raise the bar or lower it? Are we changing directions? And where is the end...and then where is the next step after that?

I hope to use this blog to develop my own writing ability as well as deepen my understanding of teaching writing to others. I hope that in doing my own assignments and learning on my own, I can also help teach something to those who read this.

2 comments:

  1. I love your title! You just revised the shirt. I think your blog title should be a fitness shirt! I love your journey and I agree that no matter the path, continuing to develop your writing skills will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kaitlin, I liked your title as well as the meaning behind it. Many times we are so goal oriented that our goals start to become who we are. Which is obviously not true. We are ourselves in between our goals and long after they are accomplished or not.

    ReplyDelete